03 October 2015

Building Prusa i3: Intro

I want a 3D printer! I have no experience in 3D printing, but i decided to build it myself instead of just buying one. At first I tried to design it myself and after couple of days I concluded that if I build it from scratch, then end result would be probably something big, ugly and probably not very good at printing. So, I decided not to design it myself, but find some simple printer design that I could build myself. There is no need to invent bicycle if there is community who already invented and improved one. Googling around a bit, I found RepRap and from lot of YouTube videos of DIY 3D printers that I have seen, it seems that lot of people are building Prusa Mental type printers. Reading about different printer designs on RepRap site, I chose Prusa i3. There is no real reason for why I chose that design. It just seemed simple and beautiful. My goal is to build it as cheep as possible, but not to compromise too much on printing quality... whatever that means.
I will blog about this building process mostly for myself. This blog series will not be about how to build the Prusa i3, but rather my experiences building one, someone who has never had any 3D printer experience or anything to do with 3D printers. Maybe I will inspire someone to build their own printer.
At the moment most of the parts are already ordered from eBay, they will arrive within next 2 to 4 weeks and I will blog about my building process as parts are coming in.

No comments:

Post a Comment